EMRIP 2016 - Indigenous Peoples Preparatory Meeting
The Indigenous Peoples Preparatory Meeting for the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples will take place on Sunday July 10, 2016 at the Swiss Press Club, 106, route de Ferney, Geneva (Bus 5 – Intercontinental stop) from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
1. Opening Thanksgiving
2. Selection of Chairpersons
3. Finalizing agenda – begin discussions
4. Strategies to deal with the Expert Mechanism and Objectives for its 9th session
- Item 3: UN WCIP Outcome Document - new mandate for EMRIP
- Wed. July 13th, 9 am consultation with Mexico and Guatemala,
- Briefing and discussion on the consultation process to enable the participation of indigenous peoples’ representatives and institutions in meetings of relevant United Nations bodies on issues affecting them
- Item 4: Panel discussion on the promotion and protection of the rights of Indiginous persons with disabilities.
- Item 5: Study and advice on the right to health and indigenous peoples, with a focus on children and youth.
- Item 6: Human rights of Indigenous Peoples in relation to business enterprises.
- Item 7: Sustainable Development Goals and indigenous peoples’ rights.
- Item 8: Best practices and strategies for the implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Item 9: Follow-up to thematic studies and advice
- Item 10: Proposals to be submitted to the Human Rights Council for its consideration and approval
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
5. Presentation by Secretariat and members of the Expert Mechanism
1:00 – 1:45 p.m
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
6. Other issues
6.1 Update on OAS Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples