EMRIP Working Methodologies
EMRIP held an expert seminar and an intersessional meeting in Chile from December 4-8 2017. The purpose of the seminar was to gather information for the up-coming study on the free, prior and informed consent. The report will be discussed and finalised during the EMRIP in July, before it will be presented to the Human Rights Council during its 39th session. The aim of the intersessional meeting was to discuss the requests received for country engagements.
The concept note of the seminar is available here: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/IPeoples/EMRIP/Pages/StudyFPIC.aspx (only in English).
In 2017, EMRIP adopted its working methods in regards to country engagements with the goal to operationalise the new mandate (resolution 33/25). Upon the request, the Expert Mechanism can:
- Provide technical advice regarding the development of domestic legislation and policies relating to the rights of indigenous peoples.
- Provide assistance and advice for the implementation of recommendations made at the Universal Periodic Review and Treaty bodies, Special Procedures or other relevant mechanisms.
- Facilitate dialogue between Member States, indigenous peoples and/or the private sector in order to implement UNDRIP.
The purpose is multiple: provide independent advice and recommendations, facilitate dialogue between different stakeholders, make independent observations of and advice on the implementation of laws and policies to implement UNDRIP, capacity-building and awareness-raising.
The modalities may include training activities for State institutions, indigenous people’s organisations, NHRIs or other stakeholders, video or audio-calls, in-person meetings in Geneva or in other locations, emails exchanges or formal communication through diplomatic channels.
Possible activities are, for example, collection of good practices, disseminate the EMRIP studies, policy dialogue with stakeholders, meetings with stakeholders, trainings, site visits, etc.
Requests from indigenous peoples should be submitted to the secretariat of the Expert Mechanism in OHCHR via e-mail to expertmechanism(at)ohchr.org. For more information about the required information for the request, visit: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/IPeoples/EMRIP/Pages/RequestsUnderNewMandate.aspx
By now, the Expert Mechanism has undertaken two country visits:
- Finland (February 2018, upon request of the Sámi Parliament of Finland): the purpose was to consider amendments to the Sámi Parliament Act, for which EMRIP will provide a technical advice note.
- Mexico (March 2018, upon the request of the Secretariat of Rural Development and Equality for the Communities (SEDEREC): The mission focused on the provisions regarding indigenous peoples in the Constitution of Mexico City, which was adopted in January 2017. The Expert Mechanism will provide a technical cooperation note.