Composition and Mandate of the EMRIP
The Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (EMRIP) was created by Resolution A/HRC/6/36 the Human Rights Council (HRC) on 14 December 2007. It replaces the Working Group on Indigenous Population (WGIP) of the former Sub Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights.
The EMRIP is quite different from the WGIP :
- It is a subsidiary body of the HRC; as such, it is located very high in the UN Hierarchy.
- It provides the HRC with thematic expertise.
- In itself, it essentially must carry out studies and research.
- It presents proposals to the HRC.
The EMRIP cannot :
- Receive or forward complaints or denunciations. This is the mandate of the Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (SRIP).
- Develop new norms.
- Adress country situations
- Adopt resolutions or decisions.
The EMRIP consists of five independent experts nominated for a three year-period and who may be re-elected for an additional period of three years. For 2011-2014, they are :
- Mr. Vital Bambanze (Batwa, Burundi, term expiring in 2012)
- Ms. Anastasia Chukhman (Itelmeny, Russian Federation, 2013)
- Ms. Jannie Lasimbang (Kadazan, Malaysia, 2014)
- Mr. Wilton Littlechild (Cree, Canada, 2014)
- Mr. Jose Carlos Morales Morales (Brunka, Costa Rica, 2013)
The Presidency of the EMPIR changes annually.
The annual five-day meeting (three days in 2008) is open to the following participants as observers:
- UN mechanisms, bodies and specialized agencies, funds and programmes
- Intergovernmental organizations and regional organizations and mechanisms in the field of human rights
- National Human Rights institutions and other relevant national bodies
- Academics and experts on Indigenous issues
- NGOs in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council
- Indigenous Peoples organizations and NGOs (please refer to the resolution below)
EMRIP 2014 : statements July,14 2014
The statements read during the 2014 EMRIP' session are - and will be - available in electronic format in our Docip's online database. Printed statements may also be consulted in Docip's office (please contact our documentation service: ...
Docip organises the following side-event in the framework of the 7th session of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples: Side event & Screening of the Film “Bridge to the future” Wednesday, July 9th, 2014, 1:15-2:45 pm Room ...
Docip trainings at EMRIP 7th session July,08 2014
Docip organises, in partnership with the UN Voluntary Fund for Indigenous Peoples, the following trainings during the 7th session of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples: Monday, July 7, 2014 How to participate effectively in ...